Thursday, December 8, 2011

Deko Gel Replacement

So early on, when I started using polymer clay, I looked around for Fimo Deko Gel--a clear kind of liquid clay which one can use to make realistic looking jams and jellies. Sadly, it wasn't available in the store I often went to to buy my clay stuffs. It was only after six months that I finally found Deko Gel--and saw it's price. I thought--I really need it. It's been epic hard to make realistic looking jellies with TLS, but I badly didn't want to spend that much for deko gel. I mean, really, how much jelly do I need?

Nevertheless, I'm the kind of artist who can't move on to the next art piece unless she has finished what she has in mind, so I began saving up for it. Now I have a bad habit of going into bookstores, reading the books and NEVER buying any books. Heehee. Anyway, last week, I was waiting for a friend of mine to meet me up, so I picked up a book about resin air-dry clay. Obviously, it couldn't be put in the oven like our usual polymer clay, so I looked at it, wondering how they did the sweets, as I've never heard of air-dry liquid clay. Sounds kind of oxymoronic to me, really. Anyway, when I found out, it was so simply, so practical, that I practically had to ask myself why I never thought of it.

So without further ado, here's a video of what you can use to replace deko gel:

3 comments:

  1. I use the exact same method, except I use school glue.
    Kim Fruitheads from www.gobrushes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh! finally! something i can easily find in the Philippines!!! before you put the coloring, is it transparent? but either way, this is just too awesome! I'm currently living in davao and sadly the craft shops here lacks the materials that I need. :( buying it online would be expensive, so i try to look for substitutes as much as possible.. so thank you very much for this! will try this and probably try a transparent silicone sealant if I want something cloudy... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @The Pink Lady: yes, it is transparent. :D

    ReplyDelete