Thursday, October 13, 2011

Being Cheap: Mica Powder Replacement

I love glitter and glitz. I might repeat again and again that my motto in life is Shakespeare's 'to thine own self be true,' but my friends know me better. They know that, "OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, SHIIIIINY!" is more suited for me, as I am easily distracted, and have been known to spend hours being hypnotized by Christmas balls and other such shiny things.

Too much glitter is tacky, yes, I know, but just the right amount adds a little extra oomph to anything. Which is why when I found out that I could add those shiny mica powders to polymer clay, I was sooo happy. So I popped over to the local art shop here, still happy. That is, until I saw the prices of Mica powders. Yes, I know they're relatively cheap, like 105-200pesos/ color, but hey, I'm not called the Cheapskate for nothing. I mean, okay, I can pay the price--but just for one color? I mean, just how much gold or silver or pink or green  or any other color can I use? It'll bore me to death and limit my creativity. So I did what any other cheapskate would do, and looked around the net for replacements. Now here I am, telling you that:

YOU CAN USE REGULAR EYESHADOW TO REPLACE MICA POWDERS~ BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA


*ahem*

They're practically the same thing, and you'll never want for color, as thanks to our finicky fashion industry, they've produced every kind of color we'll ever need. Unless you go out every single night, or unless you're one of those crazy crackpots who use super glittery eyeshadow in the day, chances are, you have a bit of the super glittery eyeshadows in your make up kit, and you don't use it very much. If you have a polymer piece that needs a bit of shine, there's no need to get those expensive mica powders--you've got all you need.

Some tips:
1. Best way to use this is to brush it on after the piece has been baked. That's what I did with the picture above.
2. If you're going to mix it in with the clay, make sure that your eyeshadow and the clay has been conditioned and mixed very well. The eyeshadow should be very very very fine, as it might burn in the oven.
3. This is rather obvious, but I'll tell you anyway, use the metallic kind of eyeshadows. 'Cause the powdery kind is just going to dull the color.

The eyeshadows doesn't even need to be expensive. The made in China ones from Divisoria or the really cheap ones would work. If you don't believe me, just look round the net--lots of us use this technique.

And now that I have done this post, I shall go downstairs and stare even more at our shiny Christmas balls. I live in the Philippines, so yes, we already have decorations up in October.

1 comment:

  1. Love it, I use colored mica powder from a site called Making Makeup Professional. They sell a variety of cosmetic grade mica powders and pigments for use in soaps, eyeshadows, lotions, highlighter, foundation, bath bombs and many more. They're based in the UK so it works out great for UK and EU customers looking for cheap shipping.

    ReplyDelete